Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Reflection 5/8/13


I can't believe how fast this semester has gone! I have learned so much about the different aspects of nursing through lectures and especially the variety topics of the blogs. I also found it beneficial to read the comments on the blogs to get different opinions about the topics; which opens your eyes up to the many different points of view and different approaches to certain issues.

Throughout this semester I learned a lot about the many different aspects of nursing. There are many roles that go unrecognized, but are very vital in the community. I really enjoyed learning about the many roles nurses play in the care of vulnerable populations. They play an extremely important role in the care of vulnerable children especially. By conducting health screenings in school, they can identify at risk children. They also play as an advocate for their patients, especially children. Education is key in promoting good health and well-being. Education is an important part of being a nurse and can play an important role in not only the current patient or community, but also with other health care professionals and in other communities. I really enjoyed listening to the guest speaker that talked about communicating with children. Even if they aren’t the patients directly, it can positively influence the family involved.

One of the more interesting topics to learn about for me was childhood fear. I thought it was interesting to read about the different stages children go through and how they perceive fear at that time. One age group in particular is the preschool years. This age group experiences the greatest number and variety of real and imagined fears. I found it interesting that they couldn’t yet differentiate between what is an animation and what is actually real. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I agree with your entire post! I did not realize how much I would actually like blogging until I actually blogged for a semester. This class truly opened my eyes to the many options and areas that one can go into as a nurse. Like I said in my blog post, I kind of had this cookie-cutter image of the nursing role. Nursing 335 lectures and blogging allowed me to see how nurses can not only have an impact on a variety of individuals, but impact an entire community! I was also very interested in the vulnerable population topic. This area was kind of blurry for me, and it is still hard for me because many of us have no idea what it is like to be in their shoes. As nurses we can impact their care and positively impact low-income areas by volunteering. I was really interested in that mentoring program as college students. It is important as nurses to be well-rounded and know how to care for many types of populations. What I’ve learned also is that the care that nurses can give can come in many forms and there isn’t a certain definition for it. I really enjoyed talking about pediatrics and learning how to communicate with the child as a patient and their family. It is our responsibility as nurses to be able to understand the developmental stage of a person both mentally and physically and adjust care and assessing accordingly. We may need to adjust our language and give a child a fake stethoscope to calm their fears about the equipment. The most important thing I would take away from this course is education. Patient education is a critical part of every type of nursing. This can impact patients and populations in a way to promote upstream thinking and create a healthy community overall.

    ReplyDelete